A property where Hume and Hovell camped on the banks of the Goulburn River in 1824 now features decidedly modern comforts.
365 Upper Goulburn Road, Tallarook
As well as an 1838 homestead, the Tallarook property was famously owned by the late BHP chairman, Essington Lewis, and features stables which are leased to Carlton & United Breweries who house their Clydesdale horses there.
First settled by Joseph Hawdon, an ”overlander” from New South Wales, it is also where explorers Hume and Hovell camped at Christmas 1824.
Owner Peter Gillooly bought it in the early 1990s and extensively renovating the six-bedroom homestead about the year 2000 under the guidance of Stuart Rattle.
”There’s a lot of us in there,” says the ex-Tattersalls chief executive, who, along with wife Sandra, lives in East Melbourne, but has owned a farm in the area since 1984. The homestead, at 365 Upper Goulburn Road, comes with a horizon swimming pool and tennis court and mature gardens.
The 162-hectare property, plus about 16 hectares lease, has three kilometres of Goulburn River frontage, a 4.9-hectare vineyard, three cottages and machinery sheds.
An expressions of interest campaign closes on November 25 at 5pm. Jock Langley, of Abercromby’s, says the most recent sale of unimproved land with Goulburn River frontage was $5065 a hectare. ”This will sell for considerably more given the fantastic improvements,” he said.
Proposed restraints on real estate ownership in China could be great news for the Australian property market, according to the head of one major group.
Last week, the Chinese government announced a series of proposed restraints including stricter enforcement of capital gains tax on home sale profits and the imposition of higher deposits for the purchase of second homes.
- COVID-19 Protocol
- Update from our CEO on COVID-19
- Announcement from Abercromby's regarding COVID-19
- Welcome to Shrublands, a 42-room, eight-figure mansion for sale in Melbourne
- Coast & Country | Looking for a coastal escape to call home?
- House of the week: A North Melbourne warehouse conversion in the old Gasworks precinct
- Historic Canterbury mansion listed for eye-watering $42 million to $46 million
- New Laws on Pets in Rental Properties start on 2nd March.
- Maddie's Shield #4 - Celebrity T20
- When Architecture Becomes Art
- Season's greetings from Abercromby's
- NEW RESIDENTIAL TENANCY LAWS 2020
- Welcome to the Team - Jack Richardson
- Abercromby's is proud to support SecondBite
- MEET OUR TEAM- Introducing Ada Taylor
- 2019 Outback Car Trek Raising Funds for the Flying Doctor
- Meet Andrew Harlock - the Abercromby’s director who went from selling cars to selling houses
- MEET OUR TEAM - Introducing Tim Derham & Michael Derham
- Australia’s property market has the right catalysts for a rebound: record low interest rates and investor-friendly government
- SecondBite Gala Dinner 2019
- Abercromby's - Making headlines!
- Coast & Country
- General Interest
- Just Listed
- Luxury & Lifestyle
- Market Updates
- Property of the Week
- RUN Melbourne
- Coast & Country
- Tim Bennetts
- Sam Goddard
- Jock Langley
- Main Ridge
- The Age
- The Weekly Review
- Interest Rate
- The Australian
- South Yarra
- Hugh Hardy
- Abercromby's Real Estate
- Andrew Harlock
- Expression of Interest
- Malvern East
- Glen Iris
- Open for Inspection
- Kate Cusack
- Tim Derham
- James Report
- Market Update
- East Melbourne
- Agents Choice
- Weekly review
- Jeff Gole
- Port Melbourne
- property management
- Simon Hicks
- Sales Market
- Interest Rates
- Luxury Properties
- For Sale
- Howthern East
- Myles Crowhurst
- Rental Market
- WAN house of the year
- Private Auction
- Mont Albert North
- Private sale
- Financial Times
- New York
- Rio De Janerio
- Valentine's Day
- House & Garden
- Abercromby's Melbourne
- the period home renovator
- New York Times
Tweets by AbercrombysRE